After successfully retiring from the Air Force with aircraft maintenance and recruiting experience, Keith focused on a post-military career in Human Resources. He landed a supervisory role while on terminal leave, but quickly moved on to similar work as a project manager for another government agency. Keith’s outstanding work relating to HR and his advocacy for veterans led to his current role as the Veteran Outreach Program Coordinator on incumbent Arizona Senator Martha McSally’s staff. Keith stresses the importance of understanding your personal priorities and making sure they align with the culture of the civilian organizations you are pursuing.
- Take more time than you think you need for yourself before jumping into your next role.
- Determine the goals and values of companies you want to work for before you apply for the job.
- Translate your skills in a way your civilian audience can understand.
- In interviews, it’s a good idea to ask the interviewer what they think of the leadership style within the organization.
- If you’re not getting interviews:
- Review your resume or pay a professional.
- Find a career coach or mentor.
Are You Struggling to Write Your Resume?
I created the Veteran Resume Self-inspection Checklist to lessen the resume writing struggle for veterans. This 11-item checklist will educate you in resume best practices while giving veterans a guide to assess their resume and determine if it's ready to send to employers.Download Your Checklist Here